The Fascinating Story Of An Institutional Forex Trader – Show Notes
In episode 103 of the Desire To Trade Podcast, I interview Forex trader Tony Sycamore, an ex-institutional Forex trader with a fascinating story in the market.
Tony started studying technical analysis more than 20 years ago while working for Macquarie Bank on the floor of the Sydney Futures Exchange (SFE). That was where Tony’s passion for the markets was fuelled.
In 2003, his ongoing study of markets and technical analysis enabled him to become part of the Proprietary Trading Group at Goldman Sachs. Tony was fortunate enough to learn from working with and watching some of the best financial minds in the business. Trading mainly foreign exchange (FX), he posted strong returns on capital, in particular in 2007 and 2008, before leaving the firm in 2009 to transition into FX sales with BNP Paribas (BNPP). He has spent the last five years at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA).
While at CBA and BNPP, Tony wrote and published the Weekly FX Technical Report containing technical analysis, trade ideas, and opinions. The report earned a strong following from a variety of clients, including fund managers, hedge funds, balance sheets, central banks and large corporates all over the world.
I personally found it very interesting to speak with Tony and to discover more about the world of an institutional Forex trader and how Tony was able to make his mark in it.
“Every battle is won before it's ever fought.” – Sun Tzu
“When you marry technical analysis to fundamental analysis, that gives you a very strong edge.” – Tony SycamoreIf you look after your downside, your upside will take care of itself. – @Tony_Sycamore Click To Tweet
In This Interview, You'll Learn…
- What made Tony pick Forex as the market to trade
- How & why focusing on technical analysis makes you stand out
- The differences between trading on your own and for an institution
- The role of correlation analysis for an institutional Forex trader
- Timeframe transitions Tony Sycamore went through over time
- From Rugby to Forex trading
- How to react when your view of the market is tested
- How and why to create new trading strategies over time
- What should your focus be in this new trading/finance industry
- How to decide what to trade in the Forex market
- What indicators technical institutional Forex traders look at
- Why a return of 25% per year is awesome
- The typical win rate of an ex-institutional Forex trader
- The worst month to trade
- What's unique with Tony Sycamore's trading
- And much more!
DesireToTRADE Top Resources
- DesireToTRADE Forex Trader Community (free group!)
- Complete Price Action Strategy Checklist (free checklist!)
- One-Page Trading Plan (free template!)
- DesireToTRADE Academy
How To Find Tony Sycamore?Become a member of TechFx Traders (14-day trial)
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast episode? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!