Algorithmic Trading Strategies (Moving To Automation)
In episode 133 of the Desire To Trade Podcast, I interview Matt DeLong, an algorithmic trader & business owner to discuss the process of moving to automation. While still being in the process of creating algorithmic trading strategies, Matt could answer a lot of questions on how he works to build his future hedge fund.
Over time, Matt went from being a manual day trader to making returns in the market through the use of algorithmic trading strategies. Although it seems a big transition, Matt is the proof that it's better to focus on what we know (i.e. what we do best).
While I find interest in the topic of algorithmic trading, I find a lot of value in speaking with people who are in-the-action and executing on their ideas. That's primarily why I wanted to bring Matt on the show!
For more resources, videos, and interviews on creating algorithmic trading strategies, head over to this section of the blog.
Topics Covered In This Episode
- How Matt was trading prior to building algorithmic trading strategies 2:38
- When Matt decided to go from manual to automated trading 6:00
- The steps before starting to trade live with algorithms 8:02
- How to avoid curve-fitting the strategy to past data 11:40
- What to look for in a trading strategy programmer 13:27
- How to use risk in your favor 16:53
- The plan with Matt's hedge fund business 20:40
- How to use things like S/R areas in algorithmic trading 24:23
- How to handle major events in the market 26:57
- What Matt does if a strategy hits the max drawdown 28:57
- How Matt plans to find investors for his fund 30:14
- The required equipment as an algorithmic trader 32:30
- How often Matt looks at his past trades 37:00
- Essential risk management rules 38:10
- Recommended Udemy Course: Build Your Trading Robot
- EA Lab by TradeView
- Matt's charts: TradingView
- Financial website: Finviz
DesireToTRADE Top Resources
- Desire To TRADE Forex Trader Community (free group!)
- Complete Price Action Strategy Checklist (free checklist!)
- One-Page Trading Plan (free template!)
- DesireToTRADE Academy (exclusive training program)
How To Find Matt DeLong?
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast episode? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!