212: Prop Firm Trading & Performing Like A Pro – @MikeBellafiore
Prop Firm Trading & Performing Like A Pro
In episode 212 of the Desire To Trade Podcast, I sit down for a 2nd time with Mike Bellafiore, the co-founder of SMB Capital, a well-known proprietary trading firm based in New York, USA. Mike is also the author of One Good Trade: Inside the Highly Competitive World of Proprietary Trading and The PlayBook: An Inside Look at How to Think Like a Professional Trader.
SMB Capital’s trader-training program was highlighted in the TV documentary Wall Street Warriors. His firm has appeared regularly on CNBC’s Fast Money, CNNMoney, Bloomberg, and Fox Business.
I first heard of Mike Bellafiore and SMB Capital through Mike's first book called One Good Trade. It describes how things are done in a proprietary trading firm and provides real stories of traders who had or hadn't what it took to thrive in this world of trading. I highly recommend the book!
Mike has a lot of experience working with traders and came to understand what made them successful. He also knows what the learning process looks like for a trader.
As some of you may know Mike and SMB Capital help sponsor Traders4ACause which is a charitable organization focused on value. They make a yearly conference in Las Vegas in which all proceeds are donated to a set of charities. If you want to assist to the next event, get great trading related value and networking and help a good cause you can check out the event, register and donate at: https://traders4acause.org
In This Episode, You'll Learn…
- Who is Mike Bellafiore and what has he and SMB done since the last interview 00:33
- How the whole ambient and culture of SMB encourages traders to continues improvement (concrete steps they take to improve every day) 06:05
- How SMB use technology to improve their discretionary trading 07:41
- How Mike and SMB are implementing algorithms and technology into a trading desk 10:44
- How to implement a hybrid approach to automated trading 16:24
- What does it take for someone to be hired by a prop firm like SMB 20:05
- The importance of measuring trading performance and process 36:14
- The biggest mistake Mike sees traders make 40:57
- Should a trader copy other trader's style or make their own? 43:42
- Where you can find Mike Bellafiore 45:58
- Which is Mike's vision for the future 46:45
- And much more!
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!
- The PlayBook: An Inside Look at How to Think Like a Professional Trader
- One Good Trade: Inside the Highly Competitive World of Proprietary Trading
- Traders4ACause Anual Charity Conference
- Past Interview: Trade With Market Edge & Stick To One Good Trade
DesireToTRADE's Top Resources
- DesireToTRADE Forex Trader Community (free group!)
- Complete Price Action Strategy Checklist
- One-Page Trading Plan (free template)
- Recommended broker: AxiTrader (use our link to get a special bonus)
- Desire To TRADE Academy
About The Desire To Trade Podcast
- Subscribe via iTunes (take 2 seconds and leave the podcast a review!)
- Subscribe via Stitcher
- Subscribe via TuneIn
- Subscribe via Google Play
- See all podcast episodes
How To Find Mike Bellafiore?
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast episode? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!