Pre-Med Student Turned Full-Time Trader
I still recommend those books to many traders today!
The author of those books was Kathy Lien and I've been wanting to interview her as part of the Desire To Trade Podcast for a long time!
In episode 311 of the Desire To Trade Podcast, you'll learn:
- How you can combine fundamentals & technicals for better results
- What a day in the life of a professional trader looks like
- How Kathy went from pre med student to full-time trader
As always, you can find this trader interview on your favorite podcasting platform! Simply search for “Desire To Trade Podcast”.
About Kathy Lien
Kathy Lien is Managing Director and Founding Partner of BKForex. Having graduated from New York University’s Stern School of Business at the age of 18, Ms. Kathy Lien has more than 13 years of experience in the financial markets with a specific focus on currencies.
Her career started at JPMorgan Chase where she worked on the interbank FX trading desk making markets in foreign exchange and later in the cross markets proprietary trading group where she traded FX spot, options, interest rate derivatives, bonds, equities, and futures. In 2003, Kathy joined FXCM and started DailyFX.com, a leading online foreign exchange research portal. As Chief Strategist, she managed a team of analysts dedicated to providing research and commentary on the foreign exchange market. In 2008, Kathy joined Global Futures & Forex Ltd as Director of Currency Research where she provided research and analysis to clients and managed a global foreign exchange analysis team.
As an expert on G20 currencies, Kathy is often quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, Marketwatch, Associated Press, AAP, UK Telegraph, Sydney Morning Herald and other leading news publications. She also appears regularly on CNBC – US, Asia, and Europe and on Sky Business. Kathy is an internationally published author of the best-selling book Day Trading and Swing Trading the Currency Market as well as The Little Book of Currency Trading and Millionaire Traders: How Everyday People Beat Wall Street at its Own Game – all published through Wiley. Kathy’s extensive experience in developing trading strategies using cross markets analysis and her years of market research in predicting economic data surprises serve as key components of BK’s analytical techniques.
Topics Covered In This Episode
- 0:00 Start
- 0:15 Intro
- 0:40 Who is Kathy Lien and what she does
- 2:34 How Kathy discovered trading and started her trading journey
- 5:30 What hurdles did Kathy have to overcome to develop as a trader
- 6:20 How Kathy passed from market making to proprietary trading
- 7:23 Kathy recommendations for traders wanting to trade for a prop firm
- 8:18 What timeframes does Kathy prefer to trade
- 9:27 Kathy and BK Forex
- 10:49 What is Kathy trading style
- 12:15 What is Kathy's favorite technical tool
- 12:36 How a day in the life of Kathy looks like
- 14:33 How Kathy balances trading and lifestyle
- 15:47 Kathy recommendations to find your trading style
- 17:05 What Kathy thinks of Cryptocurrencies (do not fall for impostors)
- 18:34 Should a trader start with Cryptos or Forex?
- 19:20 How Kathy adapts to low volatility markets
- 20:14 Trading is an evolution game
- 20:52 Why you should use fundamentals in your trading
- 21:36 How can you get started with fundamental analysis
- 22:25 Where to find Kathy Lien
- 23:08 Kathy's top advice for traders
- And many more!
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!
Desire To Trade's Top Resources
- DesireToTRADE Forex Trader Community (free group!)
- Complete Price Action Strategy Checklist
- One-Page Trading Plan (free template)
- Recommended brokers:
- Desire To TRADE Academy
About The Desire To Trade Podcast
- Subscribe via iTunes (take 2 seconds and leave the podcast a review!)
- Subscribe via Stitcher
- Subscribe via TuneIn
- Subscribe via Google Play
- See all podcast episodes
How To Find Kathy Lien?
What is one thing you are going to implement after listening to this podcast episode? Leave a comment below, or join me in the Facebook group!